Assault and Battery
For assault and battery charges in Long Beach it is critical to retain the best possible Long Beach criminal lawyer possible. Long Beach criminal law specialist, attorney Matthew Kaestner, brings over 30 years of experience to the defense of assault and battery charges. Attorney Kaestner has a proven track record of success defending against these accusations.
Although some people charged with assault are 100% guilty, many people end up getting charged who were exercising lawful self defense or got the upper hand during mutual combat. Nonetheless, prosecutors oftentimes turn a blind eye to these defenses and seek the maximum sentence.
Consequences of an assault conviction can include:
- Imprisonment (a felony assault with great bodily injury can carry up to 7 years)
- Lifetime revocation of driving privileges for felony assaults with a vehicle.
- Lifetime revocation of the right to own or possess a firearm for felony convictions, or a 10 year prohibition for misdemeanors.
- Probation for up to 5 years
- Anger Management classes
- Lifelong criminal record and possible “strike” conviction
Whether you are charged with a misdemeanor or felony depends on certain factors, such as:
- Whether a weapon or vehicle was used
- Whether great bodily injury was involved
- Whether the assault occurred during the commission of another crime
- Whether a peace officer was the victim
- Whether the alleged victim was a member of a protected class such as a senior, spouse, dependent person, or child
Numerous defenses can be raised to assault charges such as:
- Self defense
- Defense of others
- Lawful corporal punishment
- Mutual combat
Long Beach criminal attorney, Matthew Kaestner, is a specialist in criminal law certified by the California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization. Mr. Kaestner has over 30 years of criminal law experience beating cases charging murder, attempted murder, felony assault, misdemeanor battery, domestic assault and others. If you or a loved one is suspected of assault or other charge, Long Beach criminal lawyer, attorney Matthew Kaestner can be reached directly at 562-437-0200.